If you’re a casserole lover (like me!), but are growing tired of making the same dishes over and over again, I highly recommend you give this golden harvest chicken casserole recipe a try.
I don’t know if it’s the shrimp, cayenne pepper, white wine, or a combination of all 3, but it is really delicious and has become one of our favorite family dinner recipes during the winter season. I make it at least once a month, and my husband ALWAYS asks for seconds.
This recipe makes enough for 8 people (unless you’re glutinous like we are, in which case it serves 6), so it’s perfect for big families or pot luck dinners, and I especially love that it gives me enough leftovers for lunch AND dinner the following day.
- 6 lbs chicken, cut into pieces
- ½ cup flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 gloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 small green pepper, cut in strips
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can (19 oz.) tomatoes
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 8 oz. (225 grams) frozen, uncooked, peeled and deveined shrimp (optional)
- Parsley for garnish
- Combine ½ cup flour, 1 teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper in a plastic bag
- Add chicken pieces to plastic bag and shake until each piece is coated
- Once all chicken is covered, set aside seasoned flour
- Add 1 cup vegetable oil to a large frying pan and brown flour-covered chicken and then place in 13 x 9 inch casserole dish
- Saute onion and garlic in 2 tablespoons of oil until soft before adding celery, green pepper, and mushrooms. Saute until crisp-tender
- Combine 1 teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon, and 2 tablespoons reserved seasoned flour, thyme, cayenne, and bay leaf. Add to sauteed vegetables and toss until coated
- Combined canned tomatoes, white wine, and tomato paste, and add to vegetables, heat to boiling, stirring occasionally, and pour over chicken in casserole dish
- Bake at 350F for 25 minutes, covered
- Add shrimp, cover, and bake for another 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through
- Garnish with parsley and serve with rice
If you liked this recipe, please share it on Pinterest!